Person Liable for Payment of Tax
The following persons are liable to pay income tax as per the current
1. Individuals (including Non Residents), Hindu Undivided Families, Association of Persons, Body of Individuals (where the share of members are known or specified) and artificial juridical persons (such as deities of temples) having taxable income exceeding Rs.200000/- (in case of resident senior citizens between 60-80 years Rs. 2,50,000/- and in case of Senior Citizens above 80 years Rs. 5,00,000/-)
2. Societies and Charitable/Religious trusts having taxable income exceeding Rs. 2,00,000/-
Partnership firms irrespective of their income
4. Co-operative Societies irrespective of Income
5. Companies irrespective of Income
6. Local authorities irrespective of Income
7. Association of Persons/ Body of Individuals where shares of the members are indeterminate or unknown irrespective of income.
Heads of Income
1. Income from Salary including allowances, value of perquisites, profits in lieu of salary and pension
2. Income from House Property - Whether residential or Commercial, Let out or self occupied
3. Profits and gains of Business or Profession
4. Capital Gains
5. Income from Other Sources including bank interest, interest on securities, lotteries, crossword puzzles, races, games, gifts from unrelated persons exceeding the specified limit.
Gross Total Income
The aggregate income computed under various heads of income calculated after set-off of unabsorbed depreciation/loss carried forward from earlier years.
Taxable Income is computed after deducting permissible deductions under Chapter VI-A i.e. Sections 80-A to 80-U from Gross Total Income